Where’s the doctor? A Lookback at Fury vs Wallin

Last weekend brought fight fans an unexpected blockbuster fight. Tyson Fury (29-0-1, 20KOs) was a huge favorite as he took on Otto Wallin (20-1, 13KOs). The battle could even have repercussions for the ever so close Deontay Wilder (41-0-1, 40KOs) rematch, but we will touch on that later. Predicting that this one would go the distance before the fight, was a long shot to say the least. Let’s take a look back at each quarter of this brawl.

Rounds 1-3:

The fight started with both fighters feeling out the other and Wallin was able to apply some pressure – trying to push Fury to the ropes and land some power. However, the 7” reach advantage for Fury caused Wallin some problems and Fury used the jab to his advantage. Wallin was able to close some of the gap and he went to the body. Fury made him pay almost every time Wallin came inside. When least expected as Fury was in the corner, he was nailed with a big left hand from Wallin and blood began to gush. From that point forward, Fury’s corner had its work cut out for them. No pun intended.

Rounds 4-6:

Things started to get chippy during the fourth and fifth rounds. Initially thought to be an accidental head butt by Team Fury, they were alerted it was in fact caused by Wallin’s left. Every hold and headlock caused more blood to pour for Fury. However, he continued to use his jab to win rounds. As the sixth round progressed, a quick check of Fury’s eye made him realize the urgency and he stepped it up the pace. As it ended however, Wallin seemed to paw at the gash as they were separated. This one would come down to the second half of the fight.

Rounds 7-9:

Fury hit the accelerator as the second half of the fight began. Wallin looked slightly tired but held his ground as the lineal champ knew he had to step it up. Fury continued to have blood flow from the eye but he still seemed to be wearing Wallin down. Swelling also started to become an issue for Team Wallin. The last quarter of the fight could cause problems for both.

Rounds 10-12:

Fury came out throwing bombs as the last quarter of the fight began. Wallin took too many rounds off to recover and was able to withstand the storm. The accumulation of Tyson Fury’s landed punches had really taken a toll on Wallin. The cuts had been handled like a masterpiece by Fury’s corner, as the blood flow never seemed to adversely effect Tyson. Wallin eventually threw some shots in the final round, but it was too little, too late. In the final seconds of the twelfth round, both fighters gave it their all until the final bell.

Fury got the war he wanted, although the gashes from Wallin left him suspended until November. The heavyweight no one knew coming into the fight, Otto Wallin, had made a name for himself. It was a truly gritty performance by both fighters. In the end, the victor by unanimous decision was TYSON “THE GYPSY KING” FURY.

Now, the question is, can Tyson’s cuts heal for the assumed fight with Wilder that could take place in February 2020. It has already been stated that he will not take the fight unless the cuts are fully healed. The next few months will paint a picture into what we can expect going forward. This truly is a beautiful but brutal sport.

For more on this story, boxing news and analysis follow Eightcount.tv on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.